There is such a wide variety of hair colors, like brown, black, blonde, gold and red hair. With such a wide range of shades, how to care for colored hair can be a really cool beauty challenge! However, you’ll need to keep in mind that hair color tends to make strands more porous, which means color treated hair needs extra attention.
Tips on How to Care for Colored Hair
Luckily, we’ve compiled some of the must-know tips on how to care for colored hair, from what is the best shampoo for color treated hair to the types of products you need to protect your vibrant locks. Here’s how to care for colored hair with some TLC:
● Wait to shampoo. After you add, change or brighten up your hair color, give your hair some time for the color to process further. Allowing for some time will ultimately make your hair color last longer.
● In general, wash your hair less often. The dye from coloring your hair can quickly wash away after all that good work. While you’re washing, turn down the water temperature. Hot water opens cuticles and cold water helps seal moisture. We would even suggest using a dry shampoo between washes.
● If you’re wondering what is the best shampoo for color treated hair, use sulfate-free products. Sulfates contain salt, which strip away moisture to already starved colored hair. Use customized formulas with protein to keep colors bright. Bring on the elastin protein and quinoa. Nexxus Color Assure Shampoo for Color Treated Hair gently cleans and replenishes nutrients for long lasting vibrancy for up to 40 washes.
● Condition, and condition often — especially the tips. You can also potentially add dye to conditioner. Use repair products like Nexxus Color Assure Conditioner for Color Treated Hair with a specialized protein formula since hair is made up of around 90% proteins.
● Avoid further exposure to damage. Why unnecessarily mix chemicals? Chlorine will turn blonde hair into an unintentional blue-green. And products with alcohol can strip the luster out of hair color.
● This Nexxus Color Assure Long Lasting Vibrancy Deep Moisture Hair Mask, and other products can boost your color protection routine. Red dyes may especially need help because the color fades faster, and blonder shades may benefit from purple shampoos to prevent brassiness.
● We’ve already talked about how important using conditioner is for color treated hair. Why not go even further by using a deep conditioning leave-in treatment? Leave-in conditioners are great for detangling and avoiding hair damage.
● Use protective products. If you’re going to curl, use a moisturizing styling cream. Spritz with a UV-induced spray to maintain shine. Or, you can skip heat styling altogether and try towel-drying or air-drying.
● Maintain your hair health. Get a trim. You want to have upkeep between color sessions so you’re doing shine upkeep rather than damage control.
● Maintain a healthy diet with healthy oils that show up on your exterior. Drink lots of water and you can add vitamins for healthy and strong and shiny everything, from top of head to your toes.
All of us with color treated hair want to maintain color vibrancy and that beautiful colored hair glow. From what is the best shampoo for color treated hair to tips on how to wash colored treated hair, we’ve compiled the list here on how to care for colored hair to help ensure your hair color shines. The upkeep is worth it. Shine on.